The modern world is full of different temptations. Unfortunately, the majority of them are harmful. Moreover, despite the wide acknowledgment of risks caused by such habits like alcohol drinking and smoking people are still at their disposal.
It is hard to believe that being used to alcohol or smoking you will achieve any significant results at the gym. However, when the direct impact of drinking on our bodies is obvious, the connection between smoking and bodybuilding still raises a lot of questions.
On the one hand, we have total inhibit of main male hormones on the other "harm just for lungs". Is it really so?
The effect of smoking is undoubtedly harmful to health and adversely affects the results.
A study conducted by scientists at the University of Nottingham found that the activity of the synthesis of muscle proteins in smokers was significantly lower than in non-smokers. Besides, in the body of nicotine lovers, myostatin protein and MAFbx enzyme are much higher. The first of them simply inhibits muscle growth, and the second - splits muscle proteins.
The lethal dose of nicotine is 94 cigarettes at a time (the strength of cigarettes is not indicated).
Harm of smoking
Tobacco contains more than 4,000 different chemicals that negatively affect the human body. The most harmful substances are nicotine, carbon monoxide, and liquid resin. But this tobacco is natural, grown in an environmentally friendly environment. But if we are talking about cigarettes, which are far from tobacco.
Manufacturers tend to use tobacco production waste - exploded veins and paper production waste. Also, substances such as urea (enhances absorption and dependence), ammonium nitrate (improves burning and access of nicotine to the brain), the resin of unknown origin with all chemistry (nicotine, urea, dyes, and flavors).
Nicotine effect: Nicotine is a narcotic substance that causes both physical (chemical) and psychological dependence. As a drug, nicotine is absorbed into the blood. After 7-8 seconds, the brain begins to respond to it. It is noticed that nicotine changes the human psyche and the properties of his body if a person smokes for a long time.
- The heart rate increases, that is, the load on the heart increases
- The production of stress hormones, in particular - cortisol, is increasing.
- Blood pressure rises
- Blood coagulability is changing.
- Changes in metabolism occur
Effects of carbon monoxide: Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas. Up to 15% of a smoker’s blood contains carbon monoxide instead of oxygen. While oxygen is necessary for normal functioning of cells and tissues, as well as for performing exercises. When the amount of oxygen is reduced in a short period of time, there are problems with growth, packing on muscle tissue, and the restoration and absorption of nutrients such as protein, which is vital in bodybuilding.
Effect of liquid tar: 70% of the liquid tar that a person inhales while smoking enters the lungs. Liquid tar causes significant damage to the lung tissue: local protection decreases, mucociliary clearance worsens, and respiratory failure may develop due to chronic bronchitis.
- 83% of patients with lung patients smoke
- 90% of patients with bronchial and emphysema problems are smokers
- 17% of people with coronary heart disease have these health problems due to smoking
- Smoking doubles the risk of coronary heart disease
If you are sure that you are smoking expensive cigarettes and the harm for your health is minimal just take a look at the diseases associated with smoking:
- Coronary heart disease
- Risk of infertility
- Tobacco amblyopia (visual impairment)
- Atherosclerosis (the deposition of fat on the walls of blood vessels and the violation of the elasticity of blood vessels)
- Cancer (lung, mouth, throat, nose, larynx, esophagus, pancreas, bladder, stomach, kidneys, leukemia, prostate)
- Constantly recurring respiratory tract infections
- Damage to the lungs, dysfunction
- Chronic bronchitis, emphysema
- Peptic ulcer